How can we improve Indaba Music?

Marked "sample" song section listening/playback option

We all know listening to every song in its entirety is impossible. So relatively short samples ARE being listened to. That's the way it is. As it should be - it gives everyone a better chance of being heard.

Since that is the case, why not determine a sample length and give contestants the ability assign where this is in the song. Heck, make it a mandatory part of the submission.

Indaba could make clear what they want out of the chosen sample for example:
--"mark your chorus-verse-bridge-outro so we can efficiently get a sense of the different song sections'
--"choose your best 10/20/30 seconds to get our attention"
--"choose two 5 second sections to get our attention"

Then you'd just need a "mode" for playing through submission samples instead of whole songs.

This would help everyone listen to submissions more effectively, it would give the contestants a way to promote their song better and it would save Indaba some work - probably reduce the load on your servers as well.

Help us to help you :)

Popular mp3 sites have this kind of a feature - the "sample song" button on Amazon for instance. Seems like a "good" section of the song tends to be chosen and if not it just plays the first 30 seconds.

You'd want to have a "listen from beginning" or "remember this one" button to make it easy to listen to an entire song, either immediately or perhaps later.

It'd still be cool to see how many times a song is listened to the whole way through or who took the trouble to do so, but realistically, let's help with the process we know is being used.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eohippus shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Terry commented  · 

Indaba Music is one big scam, they will steal your music, your ideals, then create a fake submission to win their own judging contest so that they want have to pay the real winners, so they create fake submission, please stay away from Indaba they are one BIG Scam out to seal other artists ideals and possibly your music Brian McFarland is one big head bitch scam artist.

• Eohippus commented  · 

And I think my two suggestions kind of tie into each other so I'm going to comment to show how they do...

the "listening levels" could be tied into the "Marked sample song section listening/playback option" suggestion

I suggested a "save for later" or "remember" button when listening through samples (perhaps while on an autoplay and set up in a way not to interrupt autoplay)

Such a feature could be used by the judges for creating different "listening levels" - there could be a system where they make anywhere from 2 to 4 passes through so for example

Stage 1 - the artist, indaba, intern-monkeys, whoever take a pass through every submission SAMPLE marking a bunch for later review.

Stage 2 - another pass is made through the pool selected from Stage 1, again marking a smaller number for a repeat listen

Stage 3 - entire songs are listened to, some of which are marked for another listen

Stage 4 - final listen, winner selected.

Just as an example, exactly how time constraints work out for listening to entire songs of course makes a huge difference

it could give people a look at how far they got and maybe make life easier for Indaba and the artist.

Feedback and Knowledge Base