How can we improve Indaba Music?

Loudness Range Peaking levels

I think its really important to set up a standard ranges for loudness as well as for the peak level. Like they did for television few years ago and like the've changed it few years ago.

First: It makes the decision much easier if you "Like" or "Don't like" a mix or remix.

Second: It will pushes INDABA simply to the next level of professionalism.

Because the fact, there are two different ways to step in a competion (mixing or remixing) I really would try to set to different aims for that.

Mixing Competition: specific loudness Level, specific peak level, NO mastering

Remixing: specific loudnesslevel, specific peak level, AND pre mastering if you like.

Further: Composition/Artist Competions.

Loudness/Peaking/Mastering->as one like. ->but the complete finished bundle will be preferred.

ALL of these things normaly really should be included in the creativbrief as well as in the indaba General Terms and Conditions.

I'm really not the only one who has this thoughs about.
Best Regards

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam commented  · 

+1
        Comparable resulting loudness after upload and back-end processing is already implemented in major platforms. It would be supercool in Indaba too.
        It allows listeners to browse through tracks and listen without the need of big volume adjustments. It allows users to produce tracks referring to loudness standards (e.g. k-14) keeping a deep dynamic range without having to squeeze under limiter. Or to pump, as they prefer.
        Example: I've submitted a track @k-12 and it sounded almost silent. I had to squeeze it to -7db just to keep it barely audible among the other tracks...
        Loudness War is a solved issue nowadays :)

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree that is difficult to judge what kind of mix to submit.

If you submit a mix ready for mastering (ie., -6 peak dbfs) it will not sound loud enough and probably will not sound as "good" as a mastered version or a version that is limited to sound louder.

Maybe we should be submitting a "client" mix that has some limiting (or mastering)?

It would be great if there were a little more exacting criteria as to what mix version to submit.

What is meant by "even loudness"?

• AdminProduct Team (Product Team, Indaba Music) commented  · 

As we don't necessarily expect every submission to be mastered, nor do we expect many of our members to have developed mastering skills, we recommend you use the volume knob to even loudness! We're not going to be setting standards for loudness.

Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base