How can we improve Indaba Music?

Improve Lotto/Queue System in Listening Party

The queuing system in the Listening Party is rather frustrating for users. Some users have been casting their lot in the lottery for several hours without any plays, while others get played multiple times within an hour, these were thoughts that came up recently in chat:

Create a system where partiers queue up, rather than cast lots and then have an algorithm shuffle the entries. The more entries someone submits, the more spread out they ought to be. Remove random plays altogether.

If the lotto system remains in place, entries should be allowed 20-30 before the currently playing song ends. The random selections seem to take away from the conversation in chat more than they add to it.

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jo Lee shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminProduct Team (Product Team, Indaba Music) responded  · 

Hello all,

We have started working on some lottery improvements in party. Our first pass at leveling the playing field will be to weight those people who have not won over those who have won recently.

We can’t give away the precise algorithm we’ll be using, but it goes something like:

If three people (a, b, and c) bid to get into the lottery, and nobody has won yet, then each person gets one vote, and has a 33% chance of winning.

a = 1 votes (33% chance)
    b = 1 votes (33% chance)
    c = 1 votes (33% chance)

Let’s say A wins.

The next time the lottery opens up, the same three people enter again, person a will have 0 votes (since they just got heard) and the other two people will have 2 votes each, giving each of them a 50% chance to win.

a = 0 votes (0% chance)
    b = 2 votes (50% chance)
    c = 2 votes (50% chance)

Let’s say B wins.

Next time if they all enter the lottery, the spread will look like…

a = 1 votes (25% chance)
    b = 0 votes (0% chance)
    c = 3 votes (75% chance)

etc.

Again, this is not the actual algorithm, but as you can see, the weights are such that the longer you don’t win, the greater chance you will have of winning. We hope to roll this out in the upcoming week at the latest.

Thanks for being Indaba members!

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Terry commented  · 

Indaba Music is one big scam, they will steal your music, your ideals, then create a fake submission to win their own judging contest so that they want have to pay the real winners, so they create fake submission, please stay away from Indaba they are one BIG Scam out to seal other artists ideals and possibly your music Brian McFarland is one big head bitch scam artist.

• JD Knider commented  · 

I think a system like this is vital to make the LP smooth. Maybe even a weighting factor for how long the person has been in the room and active.

• Matthew Mauricio commented  · 

Thanks Indaba! We really appreciate the action you guys are taking on this situation!

• Jo Lee commented  · 

That's awesome. Thanks for letting us know!

• sigmundsstrangedream commented  · 

I agree with this- and also acknowledge that the queuing system might not work as well when there is little to no traffic. However, I hope that something can be done about this- it's very discouraging to wait for feedback on your music, which is what I think most of us are in the listening party for. We'd all like the chance to critique those in the room and have our music critiqued. Throwing random music into the mix decreases chat about the music and increases chat about the lottery itself. I think changing the lottery system would be a good move for the website. Thanks for listening to my two cents!

• JaM1337 commented  · 

I agree as well. I do want to prefix this by saying I really appreciate indaba giving us the listening party room to have our songs heard and get feedback but there are some ways I'm sure we all think could be improved.

I agree about removing the "random" plays totally but would be fine myself if it was only once in a while (maybe every 10 plays?). I also think there should be a wait period after a win before you can enter again to avoid someone getting 2-3 plays while others wait for hours.

• Cheryl Sanders commented  · 

I agree. We don't need random selections.How about a system so that when we enter, we click the green to "register" our song or songs, which will then play in order. That way people aren't waiting for hours trying to get one song listened to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base