How can we improve Indaba Music?

VOTING in opportunities - Why does Indaba need all your FB info?

When someone votes for my Indaba submission, Indaba wants each person's FB contact list, friends, personal information and email. That seems really inappropriate just to vote for my song, and in fact, numerous of my friends have told me they're not voting because it seems too invasive, and they don't know what they're giving away to Indaba by accepting the request. Bummer, because my friends won't support me because of your invasive policy. Can you just go with name and email, or create an opt out checkbox or something? Thanks.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Debra Farris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminProduct Team (Product Team, Indaba Music) responded  · 

Hello all,

This is a restriction placed on us by Facebook and is not something we can control. We’ve worked with them to try and scale back permissions to just email, which is all we ever use, but it is not possible.

To clarify, we only use those permissions to

a) Verify who the user is so we can control fraud and fake votes
    b) To access the email of the voter, since when you create an account via facebook you don’t enter an email into our system directly.

We never access any data about your friends, personal information, contact list, etc.

We will keep checking in with Facebook to see when they will let us not need those permissions anymore.

Thanks for being Indaba members!

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Terry commented  · 

Indaba Music is one big scam, they will steal your music, your ideals, then create a fake submission to win their own judging contest so that they want have to pay the real winners, so they create fake submission, please stay away from Indaba they are one BIG Scam out to seal other artists ideals and possibly your music Brian McFarland is one big head bitch scam artist.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Cleary its bull for many reasons. you dont need to know certain info specially to stop fake votes. why does the ppl's votes matter? I thought it didnt. thats what its says in the fine print. I got to be honest. I have heard many bad songs that have gotten tons of votes over the songs that were actually good. maybe the site uses that on which ones to listen to because there is so many but, ppl are off tune. the vocals dont match the music. the judges follow that? I know ppl can read what I am saying and say well its just my perception. but is it really hard to use common sense? I mean some ppl who are voting on lack of talent there is an issue. and some who dont like to vote on others because of poor sportsmanship.. Just something I would think about for a while. I have only put 2 tracks up. first wasnt too bad second one something happened in the process. So I agree with people who dont certain perspectives on how the site does it processes.

• stone jones commented  · 

I'm not voting with Facebook. You don't need access to my public information.

Needless to say, there is a lot of "public information" that users of Facebook may not even be aware of.

I created an account with indaba (a website I'll never use again and most definitely not after this ridiculous process to just participate in a contest) and I am unable to vote through that? That's kind of pathetic and pitiful. I dabs validates facebook users more than it does it's own users?

Who was the mastermind behind that idea?

Enjoy being yet another flop in cyberspace. You lose majors points for not being user friendly. And if your users aren't happy, you have nothing.

• B. Jorgensen commented  · 

How is being a member of facebook more legitimate than being a member of Indaba? It takes just about the same qualifications to become a member of each, doesn't it? There definitely should be a better way to promote security than to use a company dedicated to evading privacy down to your text messages. I'm sorry, I want to vote it up and I'm aggravated.

• WIllie Turner commented  · 

I am having a voting problem due to Facebook, so there has got to be another way. I signed up through email. I understand trying to stop voter fraud as well as inflating the number of listens but there has to be a Facebook alternative.

• Anonymous commented  · 

a) Verify who the user is so we can control fraud and fake votes ...Ok I got 300 fake votes for 5$ with no detection from Fakebook. Seems like this doesn't work.

• Hummerbeats commented  · 

some people want to vote but dont have a facebook account! cant you let them vote by using their email or twitter account?

• S@nd3m0n1um commented  · 

Make sure you vote this issue up!

• S@nd3m0n1um commented  · 

That is powerful...You actually hit the hammer right on the head. There should be a simplified voting process.

• AdminProduct Team (Product Team, Indaba Music) commented  · 

Thanks for your feedback, we've been considering integrating with Twitter Connect and Google+.

In the past, years ago, we were integrated with MySpace, but their former API is down as they've been going through a restructuring.

• Anonymous commented  · 

@Richard: Yeah, I've had friends who have said the same thing.

So I get the fraud issue. Google? Myspace? Twitter? IP address logging?

If one person used a FB account and then voted again with Google, you should be able to rule out the double vote with IP address logging, I should think. I'm not that tech savy, but it would seem like there'd be a way to not have FB be the answer to everybody's problems all the time...

• AdminProduct Team (Product Team, Indaba Music) commented  · 

Facebook cuts down on fraud by a wide margin. We're not using your data for malicious purposes, just for authentication purposes. We're sorry you find it too invasive and won't be participating.

• Richard Simmons commented  · 

Speaking of voting system flaws ....

I tried voting with regular account. I tried voting with FB account. Neither of them work. I even used a browser that doesn't have any plugins that might interfere. Still no good.

The voting system just doesn't work.
        If the voting system is flawed to this extent, then winning on this site is meaningless.

Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base