How can we improve Indaba Music?

Judges are obviously not listening to all remixes

We need some assurance that the judges have actually listened to and critiqued our remixes. In the contest terms, each remix is supposed to be graded on a 0-100 scale. Users need to have some sort of notification that their entry has been listened to by the judges, along with their score and comments from the judges. With the recent Jose James catastrophe, there needs to be a system to make sure all the remixes have been properly critiqued. I know that Jose James was on tour - so why was he given the responsibility to listen to 12+ hours worth of remixes? He obviously didn't listen to all of the entries, and picked a popular one that fit a preconceived notion of what he wanted. And if he did indeed listen to all the remixes, then he must have horrible taste in music. I won't continue supporting Indaba until every user's music is taken seriously and considered fairly.

475 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Hunter T shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

What a steaming heap...

• Sean Dever commented  · 

This is from a recent contest's rules section...
        From the top ten (10) Remix entries, as determined by popular vote, the Artist and the Sponsors and their designated appointees will, in their sole discretion, select three (3) Remixes as popular vote winners (“Popular Vote Winners”) based on the following criteria: Originality (0-25 points), Creativity (0-25 points), Concept (0-25 points), and Musicality (0-25 points). The Popular Vote Winners will each receive: one (1) year Pro Status to Indaba Music (ARV $50.00 USD per Pro Status) (“Popular Vote Winners Prize”).
        This section shows that the Judges are only listening to the top 10 popular vote remixes.
        So, the issue seems pretty clear...
        Any early entry will have the advantage. If mixer A submits early after 2 or 3 hours of work (something I've seen posted), and mixer B takes 2 weeks to produce a product that kills it, and submits just before the deadline... Mixer A has a distinct advantage. Mixer B put in time and effort that mixer A did not. Yet the scales tip towards A. Most members have lost interest in listening, commenting, or voting on a song they've been hearing for 3 weeks when someone submits just before the deadline. This needs to change if professional quality is to be endorsed.

• R commented  · 

i have seen very few winners that are professional quality with massive phase issues which is not accepted on any real release so i wonder about this myself

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes they are not listening to all the mixes. In one recent contest the winners that were chosen had submitted songs that were not in tune with the rest of the arrangement.
        Might be what they wanted but it sounds very odd.

• Clay commented  · 

yes, someone someway's a horrible taste

• Hauke Pengel commented  · 

I think there is always a back up plan when competitions with high prices are happening. I guess the organizers has at least one artist in the contest that would win if there is no satisfying contribution. In general I think it's ok. It should be a "make a better remix than xxx" contest then but that's just my personal opinion, maybe they don't want to spoil the desired direction of the remix. But what I read hear that last minute contributions with 1 play are winning is very disrespectful to the community. After all, I am not dreaming of getting rich or famous through Indaba competitions but I am happy to get nice stems from time to time to work with. Also, there are some good other remix competition websites that have awesome tracks. Even with live artist feedback on Facebook (SKIO Music). I still like and stay with Indaba Music though :)

• shestopalov.anatoly commented  · 

I fully agree with what is written above,there are tracks that don't pull to win ,but they win ,I think all the tracks you don't listen ..although I am still interested in composing music,if the soul is happy ,and satisfied.

• Andy MetroSubway commented  · 

Hi Valdo, so true, this does happen from time to time (much more frequently these days with a lot of comps), unless a mind blowing unknown artist uploads a remix, then that will create possibility... Some remix websites are a great tool for cheap advertising costs for the artist/band/their mgmt etc (consisting of the artists sign up fee to the remix comp organiser and also the cost of the prize). At the same time, some fake/new accounts are created by pro-remixers as a pseudonym in alliance with the artists mgmt company, (this allows them to plan the winner well before the comp starts, also eliminating any possible backlash or brand damage towards the predetermined pro-remixers original name/brand identity with other labels etc).
        Ball in the other court: At the same time, if you were the artist, you want your mgmt company to promote you the best way that they can. Remembering its a business and a mind field out there! Also the mgmt team have a certain direction and strategy that they are looking to send the artist towards. So in a way, I don't blame them for doing it. A little frustrating, but no surprise to the industry. I guess we as amateur remixers need to view the entering of comps as free advertising for us, networking and raising our profile, sub consciously pushing us to improve our next remix.
        **Light at the end of the tunnel: Keep in mind, a lot of music label scouts/A&R managers etc, visit Indaba along with the other remix comp websites, so hope is not lost ;)

• Valdo Loureiro commented  · 

Fake accounts for the prize winners. That's really a low blow. Remix Nytrix "Love Never Dies" to win $ 800 and Remix Little Indians "The Hunt" to win $ 500 are examples of contests where they created fake accounts just to win the contest. It's a shame, this is not a serious contest.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Indaba Music is one big scam, they will steal your music, your ideals, then create a fake submission to win their own judging contest so that they want have to pay the real winners, so they create fake submission, please stay away from Indaba they are one BIG Scam out to seal other artists ideals and possibly your music Brian McFarland is one big head bitch scam artist.

• Pyth3rEx commented  · 

I do totally agree with that... Hope this is taken in consideration... As a young and new artist to the music industry I totally support this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Remix Nytrix's "Love Never Died" to win $800 was a rig-up a the last minute they created a fake submission had 1 play 1 like 1 vote and won

Remix Nytrix's "Love Never Died" to win $800 was a rig-up, at the last minute they created a fake submission, they only had 1 play 1 like 1 vote and won the competition it was very unfair, this unfair judging must stop please look into this.

• Erik commented  · 

ABANDON that sucking FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        WHY THE VOTING MUST BE WITH F*CKBOOK ?? I hate that facebook.!!! The votes must be actually with the current account in which the user is logged on, but based on external other things. Not everyone uses it when its about music.

• Massichat commented  · 

Why not use the same criteria of a real competition?

1- Indaba will rename with anonymous numbers remixes before making them available to judges.
        2- The remixes should no longer be available for listening and voting (popularity) before the announcement of the winner.
        3- remixes should not be available to the judges before the deadline.
        4. The list of participants should not be available to the judges before announcing the winner.

• Kephera commented  · 

It is disappointing but.... I expected this would be the case. It states clearly that you need to drum up your own interest. I knew I wouldn't be able to do that effectively but...
        But....
        I get to use the stems and practice my art and be part of a community.
        I figure if we can just support one another and give one another feedback and support and help promote the work of other community members that we enjoy... so who gives a sh*t about the competition? We don't need 'em.
        Let's just build a swell at grass roots level using Indaba's infra structure.

• Borganism commented  · 

I frequently here the remixes/original tracks from winners and think........wtf?
        I hear so much good songs/remixes from other people.....wich are way better....
        I don't get it anymore,I also often see the same people win....especially within the popular vote winners.....wich I think is BS.
        So crappy songs can also win here.....just because people have more votes from friends.
        I think Indaba needs to change that....skip the popular vote thing.....let the better remixes win because of their quality etc.....not because people have a lot of facebook friends!!!

• illuzhunizt commented  · 

I think there are no judges so I'm just using this to work on my producing ,mixing and mastering skills. Because I agree with others when I did a remix for one artist I'll admit my mix was a little dated (old) but the winner was off key, too dark (no changes even at hooks) just a bunch fo effects and noise. Sounded like a track for a horror movie, I thought we were doing EDM or Chillout orNu RnB or something like that! What experienced artist (the judge) can listen to a song without a catchy instrumental or vocal hook and think it's hit-bound.

• Rapid Sequence commented  · 

Don't see these remix contests as as golden ticket for being the next big producer/DJ. Instead use the great vocal stems and instrument parts to freely experiment and refine your song writing and remixing skills and listen to other entries and listen and learn and if you like their entry......Tell them. Like a lot of comments on here in reference to Facebook voting, there might be a brilliant track that doesn't even make it in to the top 200. If you like it, let the producer of the track know. Now that's better than voting for yourself and not listening to other tracks for the fear of them getting more listens then you. Discontinue the fear of failure and not winning and learn of each and every track uploaded. Peace out and respect your fellow producers.

• Dave McIsaac commented  · 

I just entered the "Mix 'Face Your Fear Or Die' by Vifolly" contest and see in the terms of the competition it states: "From the top ten (10) Submission entries, as determined by popular vote..." I imagine it's the same in the remix contests. So that would mean that the person with the least mixing/remixing skills could potentially beat out hundreds (if not thousands) of other participants with better skills and better submissions just because they can hustle up more votes on social media. Apparently, this has very little to do with actual mixing/remixing skill and more to do with who can generate the most visitors to the site. That's disappointing! I thought this would be a legitimate mixing competition. I've got far more important things to do than to hustle on social media to generate visits to the Indiba site. This is my first contest entry and my last!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base