Ideas

Tell us what would make Indaba Music better.

How can we improve Indaba Music?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. well for one pick a winner that deserves to when that featured artist contest was a joke the ones who one i never heard of

I mean the winner had 3 votes what is that so votes don't matter sounds rigged to me just lost a person who thought indaba was awesome it almost sounds like cheating how can someone with a 1000 votes not even place? come on guys that's wack!!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Hey Chris,

Votes do not impact the decision of the judges for any category other than the “Popular Vote Category.” It’s ok to disagree with the decision as everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I need to make it clear that there is connection between number of votes and being selected as a winner in the Grand Prize category.

• Adjust the contests to reflect results

It's now clear that the contest results have no affect on the placement. This is not communicated in the rules. Many wasted hours were spent rallying votes. Being #1 and not even getting a runner's up prize is extremely discouraging. I will be discontinuing my participation due to the evident waste of time and energy this site is.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →
      • contest archive

currently there are three expired contests showing on the main page of the indaba website and no way to peruse past contests unless you want to randomly flip through the artist search page which doesn't appear to be in any particular order nor is there an actual search function, you have to browse through pages.

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • 4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Admin →
          • PERFECT

This website needs nothing more...it teaches you what you need to know, gives you all these chances to work and submit your tracks...And even if you dont win..you have Fun Doing What you love:) Thanks For this wonderful website!

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
            • Grey Screen

Hey why is it that when I go to your site I just get a grey screen?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • VOTING in opportunities - Why does Indaba need all your FB info?

When someone votes for my Indaba submission, Indaba wants each person's FB contact list, friends, personal information and email. That seems really inappropriate just to vote for my song, and in fact, numerous of my friends have told me they're not voting because it seems too invasive, and they don't know what they're giving away to Indaba by accepting the request. Bummer, because my friends won't support me because of your invasive policy. Can you just go with name and email, or create an opt out checkbox or something? Thanks.

50 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello all,

This is a restriction placed on us by Facebook and is not something we can control. We’ve worked with them to try and scale back permissions to just email, which is all we ever use, but it is not possible.

To clarify, we only use those permissions to

a) Verify who the user is so we can control fraud and fake votes
                  b) To access the email of the voter, since when you create an account via facebook you don’t enter an email into our system directly.

We never access any data about your friends, personal information, contact list, etc.

We will keep checking in with Facebook to see when they will let us not need those permissions anymore.

Thanks for being Indaba members!

• Labs: Feedback on The Listening Room

Personally I am all for the Listening Room sort of arrangement described in the email. We do have a predecessor here: the former incarnation of Peter Gabriel's realworldremixed.com used to include a 'radio station' playing random mixes uploaded there.

I am of course biased here since I own everything I know today about producing digital music to that site, which allowed me to post in several mixes per contest etc. for free. But the idea of an entry player was good indeed.

The proper way of applying the idea here is of course another ballgame. I would personally be content…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
                  • Remove Hottest Tracks tab

There is a huge benefit to submitting contest material ASAP. This means more listens, more comments, which greatly increases the chances of winning. This system promotes speed at the expense of quality and Indaba should strive for quality. The hottest tracks tab perpetuates this and makes the problem worse. I'd like it to be removed until at least the submission deadline is up. I.e., just have the latest entries on "top" until the voting begins.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Indaba Music embedded music player - continuous play ?

So I have the Indaba Music player embedded on my own site (3rdNippleMusic.com) and I love it; however, I truly wish it had a continuous play feature.

At the moment, you click a song to play it, then when it's done, it simply stops & users have to go back to their PC to click another song.

THAT would be a wonderful feature so I don't have to find a new player ; )

Pleas & Thank you, (lol)

Neal Visher

17 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                      • A little info about Uploading files

Hi If indaba users knew what conversion Rate the site converted files to (and played back in) we could Mix/Master Prepare for that format.

I personally would prefer dither/noise shape anything at 16bit then supply the file in the right format so your site received and played the file unaltered.

At the moment i upload 24bit Wav files. Do they play back in that format?

Sorry for being geeky. Its just that i can sometimes notice (a little) more harshness on the top end of my remixes after uploading them.

Thanks!
                        A what a great site you have here its…

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

When you upload audio, an mp3 preview is generated so people can quickly stream your song in their web browser. The settings used for the audio preview are:

Bit rate: 192kbps
                          sample rate: 44100 hz
                          format: mp3, encoded by lame

• Better compatibility with Chrome

Many, many ppl use this browser and it just doesn't work on your site. Half of the time it won't load. It's the ONLY website that literally freezes my computer, and I get more "Oops 500 internal errors" on this site than I've ever seen anywhere. These glitches have been happening ever since you made the switch to the new design. Who did the coding? Was it all in-house? I'm no expert but I can tell when something isn't working.....

As a normal contributor it's really starting to get to me. I've tried to be as patient as possible. It's…

23 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)